Over the years I have learned that what is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it. – Yves Saint Laurent
Yves Henri Donat Mathieu-Saint-Laurent, or globally known as Yves Saint Laurent, is a French designer born on August 1, 1936. He has been a consistent influential fashion designer with great contributions in fashion labels. He died on June 1, 2008, at the age of 72. But who really is Yves Saint Laurent? How did he become part of the fashion industry? 10 facts about YSL.
2. He has the worst childhood experience. 3. Yves Saint Laurent came from Algeria. 4. He became part of the army. 5. He was laid off from the fashion industry. Life experience brings out different emotions and different perspectives on things. I just want to be constantly evolving. 6. He went naked for his advertisement. 7. His work was recognized by the Metropolitan Museum Art. 8. He had mental disorders and suffered addiction. 9. He made the male wardrobe more feminine. 10. He empowered minorities and women.
10 Facts about Yves Saint Laurent
YSL started eying fashion designing when he was a young boy through making dresses for his mother and two sisters. When he became seventeen, his mother brought him to Paris and was introduced to fashion designing. There, he met the French Vogue editor, Debrunhoff, Michael.
Because of his likeness in the fashion industry, he was targeted by bullies as his interest appears to be of gay to some. Although his childhood information is cloudy, he was constantly experiencing nervousness and has a frequent time off from school.
By that time, Algeria was still occupied by France and he served his childhood there. It was during his late teens when he decided to move to France. He got the attention of Cristian Dior after winning in a design contest which was organised by the International Wool Secretariat. He was hired on the spot.
For only 20 days, he served the army in his native place. In a short period of time, he experienced a nervous breakdown and was sent to Mental hospital and suffered stress.
The news shocked him after finding out Cristian Dior had him terminated from the job. Because of what happened, he started making his own fashion label after battling stress from his army experience. There, he collected compensation from Cristian Dior for about £48,000.
Fashions fade, style is eternal. – Yves Saint Laurent
His own brand men cologne, Pour Homme got its global attention after the fashion designer posted naked as part of his advertisement. It has been said that after posting his naked body, it became the voice for the gay community although it was not intended for gay men.
Yves Saint Laurent became the very first living person who ever received the honor from Metropolitan Museum Art from New York for his contribution and exhibition. The award that was given in 1983 made him the first living designer to receive such an honor.
Yves Saint Laurent battled Bi-Polar disorder and suffered drug addiction and alcohol abuse. It is being subjected that his sufferings are due to his bad childhood experiences and ill-fated services in the army. He also battled depression and acted crazy things, as stated by his lover, Pierre Bergè.
His famous “Le Smoking” which was feminized became one of the intrigues that made almost all male wardrobe feminine.
He was the first designer to make a voice in empowering ethnic minorities through his fashion label. He made sure fashion is available not only for men but also for all people regardless of race and gender.
2. He has the worst childhood experience.
3. Yves Saint Laurent came from Algeria.
4. He became part of the army.
5. He was laid off from the fashion industry.
Life experience brings out different emotions and different perspectives on things. I just want to be constantly evolving.
6. He went naked for his advertisement.
7. His work was recognized by the Metropolitan Museum Art.
8. He had mental disorders and suffered addiction.
9. He made the male wardrobe more feminine.
10. He empowered minorities and women.